Piazza Consiglio and the Ösnà district
It was embellished by a fountain
The Piazza Consiglio, took its current layout in 1823 at the behest of the Austrians; it was embellished by a fountain, the only one in the town, in Botticino marble and octagonal shape.
The central cylindrical pillar, from where four pipes make water flow is surmounted by a beautiful “pinecone”.
In Greek and Roman representations the cone is a symbol of eternity.
In fact it is often linked to the god Dionysus, and is associated with his mysteries.
In Christian art the cone, like all hard nuts, represents the human body, which encloses the human soul in a “shell”.
Following the “kellnerites bagolinensis” we walk along via Consoli to the fountain “Mòre”, where, looking up towards the little church of Saints Gervasio and Protasio, we can still see a wooden lattice wall, a typical way used in the past to build the high parts of the bagosso homes.
A little further ahead, there is the magnificent gothic arch, a characteristic example of medieval architecture: you can see the small window, walled up, with an ogive shape and the evident traces of the terrible fire of 1779.
In fact, between the night of 30th and 31st October of that year, a terrible fire destroyed almost the whole village in a few hours.
The attics (läré), full of flammable material (wood, medlars…) and a very strong wind that had been blowing for days, contributed to the uncontrollable spread of the fire that caused a great number of victims, also because from the Day of the Dead (November 2) the whole community of Bagolino used to gather together to face the long winter.
Instead, the festival that would start the depopulation of the village, and therefore very important, was the Carnival.
An ancient proverb says “The holy feasts of Easter and Christmas and the very holy feasts of Carnival”.